[zeromq-dev] Why is the example code LGPL?

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Tue Aug 2 13:25:03 CEST 2011

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 6:17 AM, Matt Stump <mstump at goatyak.com> wrote:

> It's also in the copyright notice of all of the C source as well:
> https://github.com/imatix/zguide/blob/master/examples/C/mdwrkapi.h

Ah, yes. This was deliberate.

So there are 8 examples out of 85 that are LGPL licensed (I've
switched the zhelpers.h file to an MIT license). These eight examples
represent non-trivial implementations of various unprotocols
(Freelance, Clone, Majordomo, Binary Star) and it's by principle that
they're LGPL licensed. You can link them into non-open applications,
but if you modify them, we want you to share your changes. If you want
a static linking exception we can add that.

The other 77 example applications are MIT licensed.