[zeromq-dev] error trying to run test suite

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 19:53:32 CET 2010

The way the setup.py test command is written, it requires that you have
built zmq in place, i.e. with:

$> python setup.py build_ext --inplace
$> python setup.py test

If you didn't build that way, you can use the usual test runners, to run the
test suite once you have installed pyzmq, e.g.

$> nosetests -vvs zmq.tests
or
$> trial zmq.tests
etc.

as long as you are *not* in the base directory (the one containing setup.py
and zmq/).

The reason for this is Python's search path priority.  When you say 'import
zmq', Python always looks first in the current directory for a folder called
'zmq', and imports from there if it exists.  When you don't build with
--inplace, then the compiled extensions (all the C/Cython files) are in the
'build/lib...' directory, and not inside the source directory, so when it
tries to import initthreads (zmq/utils/initthreads.so), that file isn't
there, and the import fails.

I updated the binding page to be a bit more clear about inplace builds.

-MinRK