[zeromq-dev] problem building pyzmq

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 22:05:26 CET 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 12:39, eric <eric at ericjbell.com> wrote:

> 1) So this thing about needing to download a stable release refers to a
> stable release of pyzmq, not 0mq, right?

Yes, all build related messages when installing pyzmq refer to pyzmq, not
0mq.

> 2) Is it correct that the latest stable release of 0mq is 2.0.10?

Yes, the docs are up to date with respect to 0mq.

> 3) Where do I download a stable release of pyzmq? The only instructions
> I can find for downloading pyzmq say to download from git, yet you are
> telling me that git only has development releases.

As I mentioned earlier today, pyzmq releases can be found at
http://github.com/zeromq/pyzmq/downloads

> 4) How can I figure out what version of pyzmq I have installed? (I am
> new to python.)

If you have pyzmq installed, you can see the pyzmq and zeromq versions with:

import zmq
# pyzmq version, following python conventions:
zmq.__version__
# zeromq version:
zmq.zmq_version()

> The good news is that I finally got cpython installed and was able to
> install pyzmq.

That's good to hear. Did you have to somehow get cpython separately? If so,
the cython list should probably be notified that their code isn't installing
properly.

-MinRK