[zeromq-dev] Explicit patterns

Mark V mvyver at gmail.com
Fri May 28 03:18:59 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 12:30 AM, Martin Lucina <mato at kotelna.sk> wrote:

>> > Yes, definitely.  I think it would confuse the situation.
>>
>> I agree with Brian.
>
> +1

Hmm I actually quite liked what Pieter proposed - as a
messaging-architectures novice.
I've re-read what Pieter proposed, and the difference of opinion seems
deeper than naming.
Pieter proposed making patterns '1st class entities'.  With this
elevation (logical and consistent) naming of sockets and devices
becomes (in my mind) an issue.
It seems the objections are less about the naming, and more about
keeping sockets as the primary building blocks.

>From my POV: When I come to 0MQ I have a problem in mind.  The sooner
0MQ's building blocks can match my mental picture of the problem the
more likely I am to commit time and effort to addressing the
inevitable wrinkles.

Scenario:
I have a many-clients one-server application in mind.  There are other
latent behaviors, but they are not yet recognized as influencing the
architecture I choose.  I come to 0MQ wondering, "Is this worth
looking into?"

So my questions are:
If patterns are not first class building blocks how do I,
_more_easily/quickly_ 'recognize', using generic/ambiguous
sockets/device names that 0MQ fits my problem?
Otherwise, if patterns are first class building blocks, how do
generic/ambiguous socket and device names allow me to avoid time and
effort investigating socket/device features/behaviors not directly
relevant to my problem?

Or perhaps I've misunderstood the intent of the changes Pieter has canvassed?

Mark