[zeromq-dev] slow consumer

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Thu May 27 12:39:06 CEST 2010

Hi John.

> Is there a plan to arm ømq with some kind strategy in order to handle
> slow consumer ? In term of reliability it should not be possible to
> crash a publisher or to punish all the consumers because of 1 slow
> consumer. I can contribute to some degree (I have started looking in ømq
> code in order to understand its logic. Is there a good doc that I can
> read for that ?)

I think you've hit the right solution. When using PUB/SUB pattern, you
should limit message buffers (ZMQ_HWM option) -- if done, when a slow
consumer's buffer gets full, new messages will be dropped.

As far as I understand what you are asking for is that publisher doesn't
get killed by OOM killer even if HWM is set to 'unlimited', right?