[zeromq-dev] Explicit patterns

chris jugg at hotmail.com
Thu May 27 07:15:25 CEST 2010

Brian Granger <ellisonbg <at> gmail.com> writes:
> I agree that certain aspects of learning 0MQ are somewhat difficult.
> But I think it is mostly because of a lack of documentation and the
> fact that the API is so simple, but powerful.

I'll have to go with Brian here.  After reading his post, more pieces fell into
place.  I think helping newbies (me!) falls into two categories.

1) Thorough API reference and documentation of the building blocks that walk a
person through from the ground up providing dead obvious diagrams and simple
snippets of code.

2) Tutorials with high level diagrams and functional code that walk a person
through from the top down.

By diagrams, I mean, show the node topology.  Show bind/connect relationships
and message directions for the various messaging patterns.

#2 gives a person something to grasp the overall concept quickly with a sandbox
to play in and apply what is learned while working through #1.

Currently, the cookbook is a decent start on #2, and it sounds like that is
being improved upon with the tutorial Pieter is working on.  #1 could use some
real attention, which everyone seems aware of.

chris