[zeromq-dev] Explicit patterns

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Tue May 25 21:56:42 CEST 2010

Pieter

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Pieter Hintjens <ph at imatix.com> wrote:
> Brian,
>
> I appreciate your view on things.  At first sight, patterns do neatly
> wrap together socket types and devices but what you say about the set
> of devices being much larger rings true.

Another point that I did'nt mention is that I have implemented a
non-trivial application using 0MQ.  My experience in that process was
that I needed a combination of different socket types and the
particular combination I needed was 1) not encapsulated by a device
and 2) was a product of the application specific logic I needed.

Another point about devices:  at some level, that are like centralized
brokers, albeit, dumb ones compared with AMQP brokers.  But, one of
the big points with 0MQ, is its brokerless design.  Thus, I think that
the most important higher level design patterns with 0MQ will be cases
that a) don't use a centralized device at all or 2) use a complex set
of distributed devices.

> So your view is that there is no need to rename/fixup the socket type
> names, that won't make things any clearer...?

Yes, definitely.  I think it would confuse the situation.

> What I'll do is start a single wiki page with an outline of the doc.
> The starting point is description of basic concepts like context,
> socket, etc.

Great, that would be helpful.  Thanks for working on this.

> We can break that into more pages over time.  Anyone who wants to edit
> will be welcome.

Fantastic!

Cheers,

Brian