[zeromq-dev] memory pb

Burak Arslan burak.arslan at arskom.com.tr
Mon May 24 16:26:24 CEST 2010

On 05/23/10 09:45, Martin Sustrik wrote:
> Hi John,
>

>> I am using ømq in a project (by the way I would like to thanks all of
>> you working on this product, I think that it is really great). I have a
>> problem with the pub/sub message queue. I have a publisher
>> that is sending message at a rate of 10-20 MB/s. I have several consumer
>> but some of them can be slow. For slow consumer, the memory usage of the
>> publisher can be very high an finally it crash. I have tried to suse
>> high-watermark but I run into another problem. I am interesting in the
>> newest message not the oldest. Is there a way to make the publisher drop
>> the oldest message when the queue is full.

Hi,

It sounds like you need a LIFO queue. It may sound silly, but what
you're asking for is done, to some extent, in memcached.

It'd certainly be interesting to generalize zeromq by having
customizable queuing schemes, (a la priority_queue) but I don't know
whether core devs are working on it, or even willing to accept a patch
that introduces such a change at the very core of things.

Burak