[zeromq-dev] RPM packaging for 0MQ

Adrian von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Wed May 19 10:32:22 CEST 2010

Heyho!

On Wednesday 19 May 2010 01.48:05 David Robinson wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 12:26 AM, Martin Lucina <mato at kotelna.sk> wrote:
> > mkoppanen at php.net said:

> > 1) Can we use the same description texts as we already have for the
> > Debian packages? You can find these in debian/control in Git. I'd take
> > the first line as the Summary: field in the RPM spec, and the rest of
> > the text as the %description.

... and Mikko: if you happen to improve those texts, I'd be happy to take
them as well.  Either make sure debian/control (in git) gets changed
accordingly, or just notify me if the texts in the spec file have been
changed.  Or both, of course.  I'll then pick up changes with the next
upload.  I'll do likewise if I modify the text.

Note also that Debian has an ongoing project to translate package
descriptions.  I've not looked what the status is but we might get
translated descriptions that way which might also be interesting for other
packagers.

> > zeromq-bin : Devices and their man pages

I switched from -utils to -bin in the package name since the devices are
essentially internal to zeromq and not utilities that you'd use separately.
(It's a bit a grey areay.)

> 2) iirc you don't usually specify gcc, make etc as BuildRequires

I don't know anything about RPM, but Debian has a "build-essential" package
for this.  (the build scripts will check if this is installed, and so no
package needs to Build-Depend on this.)  Perhaps thee's something similar?

cheers
-- vbi

--
featured link: http://www.pool.ntp.org