[zeromq-dev] Out-of-the-box zeromq Unexpected Low Performance on Windows

Christian christian.baribeau at ultra-uems.com
Sat May 8 02:44:51 CEST 2010

Martin Sustrik <sustrik <at> 250bpm.com> writes:

> Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Baribeau, Christian
> > <Christian.Baribeau <at> ultra-uems.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Found the problem. It was with the two Windows
> >> XP platforms used during the test
> >> (combination of
> anti-virus and monitor software).
> >
> > This is kind of a Windows FAQ thing:
> >
> > Question: "Unexpected low performance with product X on Windows"
> > Answer: disable anti-virus, check other services for CPU consumption
>
> "disable anti-virus" sounds threatening :)
>
> Anyway, was the excessive CPU load the cause of the problem? Christian,
> any opinion?
>
> Martin

Allo Martin!

Both CPU and network traffic would ramp up for about 2 or
3 sec and just stop. I have not had a chance to determine
 the exact cause yet. This is on my todo list.

In the mean time, I have been developing a zmq app
and running it on three Pentium IV/100 Mbps NIC/
Vanilla Win XP Pro based machines and have not
encounter any new performance issue. My simply
data server and monitor (pub/sub) app distributed
across the tree machines generates traffic that keeps
the 100 Mbps pipe full at 60% with 40% CPU usage on the
data server machine.

Thanks.

Christian