[zeromq-dev] Clarifying msg logic

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Tue May 18 08:41:48 CEST 2010

Hi Brian,

> We are working on non-copying logic for the Python bindings and have
> some questions about the lifecycle of the zmq_msg_t objects.  Here is
> our current understanding:
>

> The following create a zmq_msg_t with ref-count = 1
>
> int zmq_msg_init (zmq_msg_t *msg)
> int zmq_msg_init_size (zmq_msg_t *msg, size_t size)
> int zmq_msg_init_data (zmq_msg_t *msg, void *data, size_t size,
> zmq_free_fn *ffn, void *hint)
>
> Next, these increase or decrease the ref-count
>
> int zmq_msg_close (zmq_msg_t *msg)  -> decrease ref-count of msg by 1,
> call zmq_free_fn if ref-count = 0
> int zmq_msg_copy (zmq_msg_t *dest, zmq_msg_t *src) -> increase
> ref-count of src by 1
> zmq_socket_send -> decrease ref-count of msg by 1 after sending, if
> reaches 0 call zmq_free_fn
>
> Is this thinking correct?

Yes. That's correct.

> Next, we are wondering how zmq_free_fn behaves when you start calling
> zmq_msg_copy.
>
> If you do:
>
> zmq_msg_init_data(msg, ...., // pass in a zmq_free_fn)
> zmq_send(msg)  // ref count - 1 and zmq_free_fn is called
> zmq_msg_copy(dest, msg)  // is this even valid at this point or do you
> have to do this before the send?

Send empties the message:

assert (msg.size () == 100);
s.send (msg);
assert (msg.size () == 0);

Thus, in your example you just copy the empty message.

> If you do the copy before the send, is the zmq_free_fn copied as well?
>  Is it called a 2nd time.  It seems like it is not copied as
> everything is done by reference.  Correct?

Generally speaking, yes. zmq_msg_copy copies a pointer to data rather
than data itself. zmq_free_fn is called when all references are closed.

Now, there's an optimisation for messages below 30 bytes. These are
really copied as copying 30 bytes is more efficient than messaging with
dynamically allocated memory blocks and reference counts.

Btw, if you feel that 0MQ man pages are lacking relevant information,
please, do suggest how to improve it.

HTH