[zeromq-dev] Proposal regarding PGM and ZMQ

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Sat May 15 03:38:48 CEST 2010

On 15 May 2010 01:04, Pieter Hintjens <ph at imatix.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com>
> wrote:
>
> > 1. RDATA cannot take precedence to ODATA
> > 2. ODATA cannot take precedence to RDATA
>
> Perhaps this is more sophisticated than we can do, but it would seem
> that the ideal design is to allow RDATA to take precedence over ODATA
> but only up to a certain %, say 10%.  So if there are no errors, RDATA
> consumes 0% and ODATA gets 100%, but if the network or clients are
> unreliable, the RDATA consumes more, but only up to a safe limit. The
> RDATA limit could probably be hardcoded for almost all cases.

RDATA as a percentage is fine, I can use
"source_transmit_rdata_max_percentage" as per SmartPGM,

ODATA over RDATA is good for real time data, especially with pro-active FEC
which is transmitted as ODATA.

RDATA over ODATA is effectively congestion control.

Both PGMCC and pro-active FEC are half implemented in v3, there is no
implementation of RDATA over ODATA.

--
Steve-o