[zeromq-dev] [ANN] FFI bindings for Ruby

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Fri May 7 08:05:54 CEST 2010

Chuck,

> I really wanted to play with ZeroMQ under JRuby (native threads, no
> GIL), so I took a few hours today to whip up these FFI bindings.
>
> http://github.com/chuckremes/ffi-rzmq
>
> I have tested the code against the example scripts provided with the
> official ruby bindings and it works. I haven't built it as a gem yet,
> so the install instructions are a bit premature. If you know what you
> are doing you can probably figure it out pretty quickly.

Great! I think it should be referenced from 0MQ website so that people
who need it can find it quickly. Are you happy with referencing it the
same way as other language bindings are?

If so, let me know you wikidot account and I'll give you write access
rights.

> Performance is good but not great. Depending on message size, FFI
> overhead is around 10%.

That kind of performance decrease is actually pretty good IMO.