[zeromq-dev] Multi-threaded ZeroMQ applications

Thijs Terlouw thijsterlouw at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 15:06:28 CEST 2010

I'm currently starting to implement a ZeroMQ application. This
application will be a "worker" that connects to a central server. Each
worker works in (request-) response style. Because each request might
take a long time (up to 100ms for example), I would like to make the
workers multi-threaded. I would then use a threadpool so that one
worker can still handle a decent amount of requests, even when a few
requests are "slow". An alternative would be an async architecture,
but that involves many other problems.

In the documentation I noticed that the ZeroMQ context can be shared
between threads, and with the zmq_init() functions I can set the
number of app_threads. Each socket can only be used from the thread
that created it though. I saw a remark about the flag ZMQ_POLL, but
didn't understand the explanation very well and the usage inside
zmq-camera.c seems a bit different from what I want. Does this mean
that if I want a multi-threaded worker, I need to implement my own
work-queue? I don't want each thread to connect to the server
separately, but I want them to work on the message-queue on the
worker-process side. Do I indeed need to do this work-distribution
between worker-threads manually, or is the inproc-transport especially
designed for this? I just want to make sure my application follows the
right design pattern :)

Thanks in advance,

Thijs Terlouw,
Shenzhen, China