[zeromq-dev] Java binding proposed changes

gonzalo diethelm gdiethelm at dcv.cl
Tue Mar 30 13:56:10 CEST 2010

I have been going over the guideline for 0MQ bindings
(http://www.zeromq.org/guidelines:bindings) and I am convinced there are
a few changes to be done on the Java binding to bring it into closer
compliance. They are:

1. The ZMQ namespace and 0MQ's constants: the current binding has
constants under org.zmq.Context (POLL), org.zmq.Socket (lots of them)
and org.zmq.Poller (POLLIN, POLLOUT and POLLERR). They should all be
placed under a single ZMQ namespace; how do we do this? One way could be
to create org.zmq.ZMQ as an empty class with just the constants. Anybody
can suggest something else?

2. I recently added destroy() methods to Context and Socket, but they
will be renamed to term() and close(), respectively.

3. I will add a socket() function to org.zmq.Context, so that sockets
will be created by calling this function. They can also be created by
creating a new org.zmq.Socket object, as it is now. I will also add a
poller() function.

4. I would like to review the use of assert() in the native functions; I
am not sure whether they should stay the way they are, or they should be
turned into raising exceptions, so that every single error condition in
native code ends up being reported to the calling Java code.

This is my plan. I would appreciate comments and suggestions, even if
they are "don't do step X, you moron!". Thanks and best regards.

--
Gonzalo Diethelm

penalties set forth by Chilean law.