[zeromq-dev] 0MQ craching while polling in I/O thread

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Mon Mar 29 17:51:26 CEST 2010

Dhammika Pathirana wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> But it's too confusing, why don't we do this in zmq_poll()?
>
>     zmq::socket_t* sock1;
>
>     items[ 0 ].socket = (void *)(*sock1);  /* correct */
>     items[ 0 ].socket = (void *)sock1;     /* error */

It's confusing even the other way round. Consider this:

zmq::socket_t sock (ctx, ZMQ_P2P);
items [0].socket = (void*) &sock;

Getting the handle explicitly would be much better:

items [0].socket = sock.handle ();

However, whole polling interface is kind of half baked. In the future we
should aim for something like epoll (separate poller object).