[zeromq-dev] Load balancing REQ/REP sockets

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 19:14:39 CET 2010

Martin,

Thanks for the clarification.  This is quite different from how I was
thinking about it.

* Is the process lossy?  Do any messages get lost when the SENDBUF/RECVBUF
fill up?

* Could we add this description to the docs?

* Can I think of the sender stopping sending messages at HWM +
sizeof(SENDBUF + RECVBUF)?

But back to my original question of having a more dynamic load
balancing.  In my case I have small messages that take different
amounts of time to process.  Often, the total number of these small
messages won't come close to filling up the default sized
SENDBUF/RECVBUF.  Obviously, the next step is to reduce the size of
SENDBUF/RECVBUF.  What is the effect of doing that on
latency/throughput?  Can you think of any other way of handling a this
type of load balancing?

Cheers and many thanks,

Brian

--