[zeromq-dev] Socket connect status

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 16:02:28 CET 2010

Martin,

>> I have thought about implementing something like this in the Python
>> bindings using Python's builtin socket library, but having it in 0MQ
>> itself would be nice.  Having a pure Python version would enable
>> people to use 0MQ in situations where they can't or don't want to
>> install libzmq.  For some Python users, it is critical for them to
>> have pure python (no compiled code).
>
> Interesting. What's the reason? Security?

No, some people in the Python community like to have everything "pure
Python" for installation simplicity.  This would allow them to install
and use pyzmq without a C++ compiler.  Some deployment settings don't
allow compiled code - for example Google App Engine.  You can upload a
pure python module to GAE, but you can't compile code or upload
compiiled code.

> As for the sync API. Yes, it would be nice to have it. At the same time it's
> pretty low hanging fruit so if somebody wants to give it a try...

I have focused on other stuff right now but maybe eventually.

Cheers,

Brian

--
Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.