[zeromq-dev] automatically choosing a free TCP port

Martin Lucina mato at kotelna.sk
Mon Mar 15 15:55:30 CET 2010

ellisonbg at gmail.com said:
> I have not used Avahi before (zeroconf for Linux), but have used
> zeroconf on OS X (apple invented it).  At least on OS X, it is quite
> robust and used throughout Apple's products for autodiscovery.  I
> can't vouch for the quality of Avahi's implementation, but I think the
> idea itself of using dynamic DNS in this manner is reasonably well
> proven.

<rant>
My only use of Avahi thus far has been in anger when confronted with
various Ubuntu Linux machines that have decided "the network/NIC/DHCP
server/dog has gone away" and instead of talking to the (all the while
perfectly functional) DHCP server insisted on using a 169.254.x.x IP
address until I removed all traces of anything Avahi from the system and
"ifup eth0" started working again.

So, as you can see I'm not exactly in favour of the technology :-/

Maybe in another few years when the implementations are mature enough...
but even then it all feels slightly too "automagical" for my taste.
</rant>

Cheers,

-mato