[zeromq-dev] Servlets and 0MQ

gonzalo diethelm gdiethelm at dcv.cl
Mon Mar 15 14:01:25 CET 2010

I am trying to figure out the proper way to use 0MQ from a servlet. If I
am not mistaken, when a servlet receives an HTTP request, what is really
happening is that this servlet runs on a separate thread, allowing the
Web container to use many such threads in parallel to serve content to
many simultaneous HTTP requests. I would like to have this servlet
thread send out a message using 0MQ. In order to do this, I think I
would have to initialize / terminate 0MQ from each servlet thread, every
time I receive an HTTP request, incurring a cost that might be too high;
is this correct? Or is there a place where I could initialize 0MQ just
once, for all threads that will use it? (My apologies, I know this last
question is not strictly related to 0MQ.)

Now, say there IS a place to initialize 0MQ just once. If I do that, I
would have to make a guess as to the number of concurrent threads (HTTP
requests) that I would be using it, right? Say, 100 simultaneous HTTP
requests. What happens if I initialize 0MQ with that assumption but
then, during runtime, end up going above that?

Finally, say I have five concurrent threads serving five simultaneous
HTTP requests. Each of these threads will want to send out a message
over 0MQ, and then wait for a response. It seems to me the only safe way
of doing this is using REQ/REP sockets, but if all these threads send a
message to the same process (the one that will generate the answers),
will I be assured that the answers will come back to the appropriate
thread? Have replies any "affinity" to the underlying socket that
actually sent the corresponding request?

Is this a pattern (let's call it "multi-threaded web server") that is
well understood? Has anybody implemented something similar? If yes, can
you share some thoughts about it? Or maybe this is a mismatch for 0MQ's
architecture?

As always, thanks in advance.

--
Gonzalo Diethelm