[zeromq-dev] New reference manual committed and on-line

Martin Lucina mato at kotelna.sk
Thu Mar 11 18:32:49 CET 2010

Pieter,

ph at imatix.com said:
> OK, done for all pages in the area: category.  It's not obvious to get
> the result I want, which is a large right margin that shrinks and
> eventually becomes zero when the page is smaller than 50em.  Any CSS
> experts, try loading a page like http://www.zeromq.org/area:docs-v20
> in Firefox with the Firebug plugin, and play with the page-content div
> CSS...

This isn't solving the right problem; if I do "print preview" in Firefox
the text of the page content area is now way too narrow...

As I have suggested, why don't you make a separate CSS for printing? This
can kill the left sidebar entirely (since it's not useful for a printed
copy) and do other things to make the printout nice.

See here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/media.html

Essentially, all you need to do is add

@media print {
    /* CSS styles for print media go here */
}

Also see here for a good article:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/goingtoprint/

You can test the result yourself by doing "Print Preview", your browser
will use the print style sheet. This approach is *much* better than trying
to make the screen style work well for printing.

-mato