[zeromq-dev] Windows DLLs with OpenPGM now available

Martin Lucina mato at kotelna.sk
Wed Mar 10 22:30:18 CET 2010

sustrik at 250bpm.com said:
> You need it If you want to have PGM senders that would publish faster
> than 100kb/sec.
>
> The limit cannot be set automagically as it depends on your network and
> your requirements. If you have 10MbE network it doesn't make sense to
> have a publisher publishing 20Mb of data per second. On 1GbE network it
> makes perfect sense.

More importantly, the default limit is also a failsafe. Flooding a network
with multicast can do *bad* things to your network really quickly. For
example, most consumer switches do not do IGMP snooping, so your multicast
data will effectively be broadcast to everyone and sundry connected to your
switch.

Also, IIRC the ZMQ_RATE and ZMQ_RECOVERY_IVL options need to also be set
for a receiver to function correctly. At least that's what I found when
testing with the camera example, but that was some time ago.

More information on this can be found on the OpenPGM site.

-mato