[zeromq-dev] Fix for libzmq.vcproj failing to compile. And a question about size of message changing after being sent by socket

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Tue Jun 29 07:51:55 CEST 2010

Salvor Hardin wrote:

> I'm using latest zeromq from git (zeromq2-ba91644...) compiled with
> Visual C++ 2008 SP1, tested on Vista 32-bit.
>
> Please consider adding NOMINMAX to preprocessor definitions in
> libzmq.vcproj.  Without NOMINMAX, msvc fails to compile msg_store.cpp
> because Windef.h defines "min".

Ok. Fixed in the trunk.

> Also, here's a C++ code snippet showing odd behavior (message size
> goes from 22 before sending, to 0 after sending.)
> Please let me know if this is a bug or a feature. Thanks.
>
> zmq::context_t ctx (1);
> zmq::socket_t s (ctx, ZMQ_REQ);
> s.connect ("tcp://localhost:5555");
>
> const char *query_string = "SELECT * FROM mytable";
> zmq::message_t query (strlen (query_string) + 1);
> memcpy (query.data (), query_string, strlen (query_string) + 1);
>
> printf("query.size() before send: %ld\n", query.size());  // 22
> s.send (query);
> printf("query.size() after send: %ld\n", query.size());   // 0

Yes. This behaviour is by design. It has to do with zero-copy. When
message is _moved_ to the I/O thread there's no need to copy it or
refcount it.

If you want to clone the message so that it can be used after send, use
zmq_msg_copy function. Note that it doesn't necessarily copy the data,
in most cases it will just add refcount to the message.

Hope things are OK back there at the Foundation!