[zeromq-dev] Comparing OpenDDS and ZeroMQ Usage and Performance

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Fri Jun 25 11:49:03 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com> wrote:

> Lock-free algorithms work on words. Word on 64-bit CPU has 64 bits. One
> bit is used by the algorithm itself which leaves 63 bit for signals from
> different threads.

Right.

> Thread-pool resizing? Doable, but is it worth of the effort? Migrating
> exsiting I/O objects to another I/O thread when pool size is decreased
> would be pretty painful. Most people use thread pool of size 1 anyway.

I'd do it as for sockets, allow configuration only on a virgin object.
 Brute force is destroy old context and create a new one with the new
properties.  The real win is to remove that hard coded set of options
from the API, allowing expansion in the future.  It also seems wrong to
have to specify the sane default (1 I/O thread) explicitly in every app.