[zeromq-dev] Feature request: "transmit size" on zmq_msg_t packets

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 08:48:49 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Matt Weinstein <mattweinstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm reading variable length records directly from a MYSQL database,
> with a defined "max field length" into a dynamically allocated
> zmq_msg_t buffer, whose size must be the max field length.

Why not just create the zmq_msg_t with the shorter length in the first
place? As I understand it, creating a zmq_msg_t from existing data is
pretty quick and cheap (does not copy).  I don't think it should be a
problem to create a new zmq_msg_t for each send or recv you do, so you
can always set the size to the actual size of the message, not the max
field length.

Brian