[zeromq-dev] Java bindings error?

Stuart Halloway stu at thinkrelevance.com
Thu Jun 24 02:23:45 CEST 2010

If the context represents any real resources on the native side, I would recommend going in the opposite direction:

(1) Clients should create and hold the context, and explicitly close it when they are done.

(2) Ditto for sockets (except that creation is via the context).

(3) Neither Context nor Socket should implement finalize.

(4) Instead, they should implement the Closeable interface [1].

How costly is the context? Should it be created once per process? Once per thread? Something else?

[1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/io/Closeable.html