[zeromq-dev] ooc bindings for ØMQ

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Mon Jun 21 13:21:13 CEST 2010

Peter,

>> Btw, one thing that would be worth implementing in the scheduler IMO are
>> priorities. That way you would be able to say: load balance the work
>> among components A, B and C and only if none of those is available use
>> component D (which may be off-site or too expensive etc.)
>>

> In the next few days I'm going to be putting focused thought towards
> this. I'll start a new thread after studying the sources a bit more.

I'm looking forward for this!

>>> The second is a transparent standard-socket adapter, which I believe
>>> is what you have in mind and are currently planning. I think atm only
>>> zmq_poll() is available for adapting a standard-socket into the zmq
>>> system.
>> Yes. That's what I am working on although it's technically impossible in
>> POSIX-y environment :)
>
> So are you saying that, in the future, the only way we're going to be
> able adapt a standard-socket into the zmq system, at the user level,
> is going to be via the zmq_poll(). So, I think what you are suggesting
> is a portable approach to transparency is what the difficulty is.

The problem is that POSIX doesn't offer a way to simulate file
descriptors in the user space.

What I am working on now is to allow the user application to get the fd
associated with particular 0MQ socket. When the fd signals POLLIN it
means that "something happened" within the 0MQ socket. It doesn't
necessarily mean there's a message to read or that message can be sent.
Thus there'll be another API to check whether paricular 0MQ socket is
ready for reading/writing.