[zeromq-dev] ooc bindings for ØMQ

Peter Alexander vel.accel at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 19:28:30 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com> wrote:
> Peter,
>
>> The FBP book [1] is a rigid read but if the concept of visual
>> programming is familiar to anyone, then you can you can easily
>> understand the concept of FBP. It does not have to have an interactive
>> visual front-end, and any front-end component connector (scheduler)
>> will do. Obviously, the 0mq butterfly example describes the concept to
>> a degree as well.
>
> I am not an expert on the pipelining. We have simply implemented the
> pattern that is used in the industry.
>
> If you have theoretical background in this area, please do check
> UPSTREAM/DOWNSTEAM sockets and let me know if you believe something is
> broken or missing there.
>
> Martin

Yes Martin, thank you. There are two features that I can think of atm
that I'd like to request or possibly help to contribute in the near
future.

The first is a very flexible, even autonomous load
distribution/balancing scheme(s) that take into consideration various
aspects of distributed pipeline processing like the distribution of
components (local, lan, wan, etc) as well as the various individual
machine characteristics like cpu, memory, etc. Currently I believe,
only a round-robin scheme is available.

The second is a transparent standard-socket adapter, which I believe
is what you have in mind and are currently planning. I think atm only
zmq_poll() is available for adapting a standard-socket into the zmq
system.