[zeromq-dev] ooc bindings for ØMQ

Peter Alexander vel.accel at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 17:53:36 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Pieter Hintjens <ph at imatix.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Peter Alexander <vel.accel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> John I agree, and along the same accord I'd like to mention J. Paul
>> Morrison [1] and Flow Based Programming [2].
>
> Thanks for the pointer to FBP, it's an interesting read.
>
> -Pieter

Well let me extend my comment then Pieter because I'm huge advocate of
component based programming. By that I'm referring to "black-box
processes" that are fully flexible... inter-changeable, interactive,
online/stream/chunk, distributed based programming.

The FBP book [1] is a rigid read but if the concept of visual
programming is familiar to anyone, then you can you can easily
understand the concept of FBP. It does not have to have an interactive
visual front-end, and any front-end component connector (scheduler)
will do. Obviously, the 0mq butterfly example describes the concept to
a degree as well.

There was some discussion at one time, of developing an entire FPB
based operating system. Lastly, did you notice the one section that
mentioned "that an FBP has been in _continuous_production_use_ at one
of Canada's major banks since the 1970s".

I'm developing an FBP application atm that will be analogous to the
Knime Data Miner [2] but using 0mq and C++. This application will be
used by me mostly for financial market data at a large scale, which
may interest you too.

[1]  http://www.jpaulmorrison.com/fbp/index.shtml
[2]  http://www.knime.org/