[zeromq-dev] ooc bindings for ØMQ

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Thu Jun 17 17:21:04 CEST 2010

Matt,

> The key patterns for 0MQ are (among others): lightweight, simplicity,
> non-intrusive, low-maintenance, high-performance, efficient,
> transparent.  I suppose you could call the assemblage the "0MQ
> Philosophy".

I would add few Internet principles to the mix... no central authority,
routing around failure end-to-end priciple...

> This if very reminiscent of the core Unix experience vs. Multics, the
> "enemy" at that time :-)
>
> If the data representation layer is to be compatible with this
> philosophy, it will need to conform to the design, development, and
> usage patterns that evolve from our experiences with 0MQ.

> We should also probably study the way data is transformed in
> unstructured environments such as Unix, language environments such as
> LISP/Scheme et seq., etc., to understand how design simplicity and
> efficiency can coexist and have been wrung out of those systems.

Data presentation layer was deliberately left out of 0MQ design. To see
how attempts to standardise data presentation tend to end check CORBA
with its 1000+ pages of specification :)