[zeromq-dev] Forwarder stops forwarding

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Tue Jun 15 23:39:04 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com> wrote:

> What has to be done is implementing heartbeats on 0MQ level.
>
> Btw, a survey: What's the timeout you would be willing to accept to
> assert the connection is dead?

There was an interesting thread on heartbeating on the HyBi list
(discussing this in WebSockets).  If done too often it can destroy
battery life on a mobile device.  So if the same stack is going to do
20ms heartbeats and 30s heartbeats, it probably does need to be a
socket option.

It might be possible to calculate a sensible (default) heartbeat
heuristically by doing a roundtrip ping test but I suspect that's way
too complex for our needs.