[zeromq-dev] max_app_threads = 512

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Sun Jun 13 05:59:58 CEST 2010

Matt Weinstein wrote:
> I guess this is less dynamic than it used to be ... :-)
>
> I'm being called inward from an application with an unknown number of
> threads, definitely > 1000.
>
> Any harm in punching this up to 4096?

No. The overhead per thread added is 8 bytes of memory allocated.

I've used 512 just because "nobody uses more than 512 threads, except
for those using supercomputers and those are presumably going to build
in a custom way anyway".

Looks like I was wrong. Would it be useful to increase the constant in
future releases? And if so, what should the new value be?