[zeromq-dev] STREAM_UPSTREAM/DOWNSTREAM confusing?

Matt Weinstein mattweinstein at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 17:28:28 CEST 2010

Folks,

In re: patterns UPSTREAM and DOWNSTREAM are a bit ambiguous, e.g. some
folks think "the packets will go DOWNSTREAM" vs. UPSTREAM.  I know
we're back to the verb/noun/adverb/whatever argument, but if you have
to think about it...

I've quit trying and am using the following (less poetic) #defines
instead:

#define	ZMQ_STREAM_SOURCE	ZMQ_DOWNSTREAM
#define	ZMQ_STREAM_SINK		ZMQ_UPSTREAM

IMO this makes the code a bit more readable at a glance.

(And food for thought re: the 0MQ 3.x API :-) )

Best,
Matt