[zeromq-dev] Stopwatch

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 18:55:50 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 9:51 AM, gonzalo diethelm <gdiethelm at dcv.cl> wrote:
> but
>>> for timing uniformity and consistency.  This is why MPI, for example,
>>> includes timing features in its core API.
>>
>> I really have to agree with Brian here! It has helped tremendously in
> past
>> porting efforts (OpenVMS, Windows) to have the Stopwatch code there
> ready
>> to go. It also helped compare fruit with same fruit.
>
> I agree wholeheartedly. I think the timing functions should stay and be
> supported portably across platforms.
>
> There is/was also a zmq_sleep() function in there. Will it be kept?
> Should it?

I don't think that is needed.

> At some point I also proposed adding a zmq_uuid() generation function,
> but it was decided it was beyond 0MQ's scope. Perhaps we could come up
> with clear cut criteria for what kinds of functions belong in 0MQ.

I do agree with Martin that 0MW should not become a portability
library.  In short, we need some other reason to include something in
the API.  For the case of timing, that additional factor is
timing/benchmark uniformity and consistency.  I don't see what that
additional factor is for zmq_uuid, so I would tend to say no.

Cheers,

Brian