[zeromq-dev] Stopwatch

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 18:06:30 CEST 2010

Hi,

It looks like the stopwatch API has been removed from the ZMQ API.
While I understand the reasoning behind this, I would like to bring up
some reasons we might want to leave it in.  Recently, Nicholas and I
were going some timing and benchmarks of the Python bindings.  We were
using Python's built-in timing functions and were seeing that the
Python bindings were *faster* than the C++.  Obviously, that was
silliness, so we switched to using the zmq_stopwatch stuff and got
more reasonable timings.  This leads me to think...

Because performance benchmarking is such an important part of ZMQ, I
think having a consistent and uniform timing capability is important.
Otherwise I fear that we will always be comparing apples to oranges.
This is especially true of the different language bindings.  Thoughts?

Cheers,

Brian