[zeromq-dev] Stable releases

Martin Lucina mato at kotelna.sk
Mon Jun 7 12:30:48 CEST 2010

ph at imatix.com said:
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 12:05 AM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com> wrote:
>
> > So far 0MQ was tagged as 'beta' implying it's still in development and
> > the API/ABI may change between releases.
> >
> > However, it seems that the project is in a stage where people really
> > care about stability of the API/ABI and complain when it gets changed.
>
> It seems kind of confusing that as we move towards a stable release,
> we still make last-minute changes.  Sorry to all the binding
> maintainers.  We really wanted to get the API stable in this current
> version.
>
> We've moved/forked the repository to https://github.com/imatix/zeromq
> and will move the current master towards "stable".   New
> experimentation will happen on other branches or other gits.

I am somewhat surprised that this "executive decision" has been made in the
short space of about 12 hours since Martin Sustrik's request for comments
on the way forward, without actually giving the contributors involved a
chance to comment on what that way forward might be.

As a contributor who has spent a considerable amount of time *for free*
helping both with the actual preparation of the last few 0MQ releases, and
helping define the release policy, I feel somewhat "left out".

Therefore, I must ask the following questions:

Regarding the actual change of the canonical repository, will existing
collaborators be retained?

Who will be maintaining this new "fork", if it is a fork, and is this
regarded as a community project or as an iMatix project?

What will happen to the sustrik/zeromq2 repository, which as of today has
129 watchers and thus is regarded by at least 129 people as the canonical
repository for 0MQ?

How will those 129 watchers, and other people not necessarily watching the
mailing list for an obscure message titled "Stable release", learn about
this change?

Why was this change not implemented simply as the announcement of the
creation of a v2.0-stable branch in the current repository? (This is what I
would have recommended, but no one asked/gave me a chance to answer)

What is the roadmap for the stabilization of the 2.0.x release?

-mato

Regarding the