[zeromq-dev] Twisted integration, part 2: review

Chuck Remes cremes.devlist at mac.com
Fri Jun 4 18:52:08 CEST 2010

On Jun 4, 2010, at 11:31 AM, Laurens Van Houtven wrote:

> Hey,
>

> Some people might remember the twisted integration idea from a few
> weeks back, that kind of fizzled out for a bunch of reasons, the one
> that we can all help fix is a technical one. I've written a mail
> intended for the Twisted mailing list, and I was wondering if people
> could give it a quick review from the ZeroMQ side of things: I want to
> be sure I'm not misrepresenting or just plain lying about ZeroMQ.
>
> You can find the mail here: http://paste.pocoo.org/raw/221958/

I just want to highlight one thing and comment on it. I don't know Python or Twisted, so I'll refrain from saying much beyond that I created a Ruby reactor library (zmqmachine on github) which mimics Eventmachine which originally mimicked Twisted. I sort of went with option #3.

> (What exactly 'better' means is way beyond the current scope: basically, ZeroMQ wants to do things like topic subscription, load balancing, failover.. typical messaging middleware stuff.)

I don't think this captures the spirit of 0mq. I think it is aiming to provide more intuitive socket handling using patterns (REQ/REP, PUB/SUB, etc) so that socket-level programmers don't have to reinvent that wheel every time they need that functionality. I'd focus on the patterns and not a high-level broker function like load balancing or fail-over. Those things *could* be built using 0mq as the foundation (see zmq_device), but I don't think that is the primary point.

cr