[zeromq-dev] Authenticated pubsub (was Access control)

Burak Arslan burak.arslan at arskom.com.tr
Tue Jul 27 23:10:05 CEST 2010

hello,

there seem to be many problems with below scheme, most serious being its
ambiguity. e.g. what are "authentication credentials"? are you sending
username/password as cleartext?

also, what concern are you trying to address? integrity?
confidentiality? (i'm not sure what a game would need) are you doing any
sort of logging somewhere? if so, do you log messages as cleartext? if
not, will they be decipherable 10 years from now? where would you store
the keys?

========

i see two ways to add security to pub/sub model:

1) let anybody subscribe to any stream, but distribute decryption keys
to only authenticated people (using 0mq or not). many key distribution
schemes that address various needs exist. this will work without any
change to the zeromq protocol. (same has here:
http://lists.zeromq.org/pipermail/zeromq-dev/2010-July/004670.html just
don't invent your own key distribution scheme)

2) if you're not comfortable publishing the ciphertext, or have other
concerns like resource usage, the 0mq protocol must be extended to
support (preferably pluggable) authentication / authorization mechanism.
authentication for "who gets the messages" and authorization for "this
guy gets which messages". the task of   designing a protocol that'll
satisfy everyone's needs is daunting at best :)

best,
burak