[zeromq-dev] [otish] "Why ZeroMQ"

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Tue Jul 27 16:47:19 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Oliver Smith <oliver at kfs.org> wrote:

>> I find "socket" quite confusing , all my work is inproc  or via IPC an no
>> where am I using TCP sockets..

Yeah, but these are 0MQ sockets, not TCP sockets.

I've collected the various suggestions, normalized them to fit the
existing terms used in the zmq_socket(3) man page where possible and
put them onto a page for discussion:

http://www.zeromq.org/draft:socket-type-names

Martin points out to me that renaming the socket types would create an
API break.  Oliver's suggestion is to use aliases specifically to help
newbies.  This seems to avoid an API break.

Hopefully this can lead to code examples that make sense to beginners
right away, without undue pain to API implementors and those who have
already learned the existing names.