[zeromq-dev] [otish] "Why ZeroMQ"

Oliver Smith oliver at kfs.org
Tue Jul 27 15:24:07 CEST 2010

On 7/27/2010 6:11 AM, Matt Weinstein wrote:
> Yes, which layer _are_ we naming, policy or implementation?
>
> I think the STREAM part encapsulates the policy, IN/OUT the specific
> node type.

"node" assumes you only have a single socket :) For example, if you are
simply delegating a piece of work through a pipeline to a single [pool
of] worker[s], you have { master } -pipeline-> {worker}. But if you are
using workers to extract work from a tree structure, for example, you
might have { master } -pipeline-> {worker} -pipeline-> {worker}. If you
are performing a reduction, such as having many workers extra leaf
values from a tree, you may have a far more complex system with pipes
going in multiple directions, ultimately coming back to the "master".

So it seems far better IMO to name the socket types for the type of
communication pattern they support. And INSTREAM and OUTSTREAM seem to
do that without intruding on the types of node you are actually
implementing.

- Oliver