[zeromq-dev] [otish] "Why ZeroMQ"

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Tue Jul 27 10:57:00 CEST 2010

Pieter Hintjens wrote:

> The names Mato and I proposed for the pipeline pattern were:
>
> ZMQ_BF_CLIENT, ZMQ_WORKER, ZMQ_COLLECTOR
>
> See http://www.zeromq.org/draft:explicit-patterns

Note that CLIENT and COLLECTOR are redundant as CLIENT is just a worker
that happens not to receive any messages and COLLECTOR is just a worker
that happens not to send any messages.

Which leaves us with a nice model with a single socket type...
Unfortunately, it cannot be implemented. The problem is that WORKER
socket has to be connected to two different kind of peers (upstream
peers and downstream peers). zmq_connect() and zmq_bind() don't provide
a way to distinguish between the two.