[zeromq-dev] AI_NUMERICSERV reason

Martin Lucina mato at kotelna.sk
Tue Jul 27 10:53:28 CEST 2010

YIDIEPXGXGPN at spammotel.com said:
> I thing there is no way to get UDP socket having passing req.ai_socktype =
> SOCK_STREAM to getaddrinfo in that case. As for the NSS/NIS usage - why do not
> let end user to decide whether to use them in runtime rather than hardcode such
> restrictions?

The API was defined as using tcp://host:numeric-port for TCP addressing.
This is the best compromise for portability, note than e.g. Windows or
OpenVMS don't really have a meaningful equivalent of NSS/NIS. (Yes, there
is a %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\services, but how many people actually
use that for anything?)

Is the reason you're asking about NIS the need to have something like a
"service locator" for 0MQ? In that case you may be interested in the
proposal I wrote some months ago for service location using DNS records.
I'll dig it up if you like.

-mato