[zeromq-dev] Disconnect notification.

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Tue Jul 13 07:09:30 CEST 2010

Brian Granger wrote:

>> What exactly do you mean by "device API"? AFAIU everyone is free to
>> implement his own device even now.
>
> By this I mean:  right now all the C++ device classes are not in the
> public API.  All you can do is to create an existing device.  Of
> course, anyone can write device-like code from scratch, but that is
> slightly different.  It would also be nice to have a way of
> starting/stopping devices and running them in threads.

As for the custom devices -- I'm not sure whether it makes sense to plug
in new device types in the runtime. Adding them to the codebase at
compile time is relatively easy.

As for "starting/stopping devices and running them in threads" -- yes,
it would be great to have that. Ultimately I would like to have devices
running in I/O threads (many devices per thread) etc.