[zeromq-dev] Disconnect notification.

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 07:02:23 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com> wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
>> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> The heartbeats are an interesting problem. I haven't yet made my mind
>>> about
>>> them. AFAICT the only real use cases for heartbeats is in
>>> high-availability
>>> systems to initiate fail-over.
>>
>> Yes, that is the usage case that we have.  Even if the heartbeat
>> doesn't go into 0MQ itself, it would be nice if the device API were
>> more public so projects could create their own devices.  It is such a
>> simple API, that this shouldn't be an issue once we figure out the
>> full device API.
>
> What exactly do you mean by "device API"? AFAIU everyone is free to
> implement his own device even now.

By this I mean:  right now all the C++ device classes are not in the
public API.  All you can do is to create an existing device.  Of
course, anyone can write device-like code from scratch, but that is
slightly different.  It would also be nice to have a way of
starting/stopping devices and running them in threads.

Cheers,

Brian

--
Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.