[zeromq-dev] zmq_version

Martin Lucina mato at kotelna.sk
Thu Jan 28 14:31:56 CET 2010

sustrik at 250bpm.com said:
> > #define LIBEVENT_VERSION_NUMBER 0x02000300
> > #define LIBEVENT_VERSION "0.2.0.3-alpha"
> > *const* *char* *event_get_version(*void*);
> > ev_uint32_t event_get_version_number(*void*);
> >

> > Provide #defines for compile time checks, numeric function for runtime
> > check, and string for informative display.
> >
> > This means you will should to keep the micro version number rolling
> > along with whatever version suffixes you wish to use.
>
> This seems to make sense. Any complaints, anyone?

Oh no, yet another version numbering discussion! :-)

My 2c:

- The tuple syntax for programatically comparing version numbers is much
  cleaner as opposed to anything using strings.

- "Alpha", "Beta" and so on are really just labels to the user, so I would
  prefer an approach that decouples these from actual version number
  checks. (Rationale: Language binding X does not care if the core is
  Alpha, Beta or something else, only if the ABI provides Y)

If I were making the decision I'd go with plain old MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, use
tuples, and have "Alpha", "Beta", "Now with Pengiuns" simply as labels on
the website download page.

-mato