[zeromq-dev] Governance of language bindings

Peter Busser busserpeter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 10:08:15 CET 2010

Martin,

2010/1/26 Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com>:
> Adrian, Jon, Toralf, Peter,

> One thing to keep in mind though is the usability of the product. Once
> we have packages for all major distributions, strict decoupling of 0MQ
> core and language bindings would be the best solution.

BTW, don't forget to add a function which returns the version of the
ZMQ library. That gives the bindings the chance to check whether they
are using the right version. At least for the Common Lisp bindings
this is important, because no code is compiled against the header
files. If the ZMQ API changes, this can result in error messages which
are hard to understand.

> At the moment though it would make using 0MQ more complex: download the
> core, build it, download the language binding, build it etc.

For distribution packagers it makes life easier.

> Toralf, we should put this together to make a template for all language
> bindings. It can be presented as a wiki page, in form of a table,
> whatever. To be discussed.

It would be nice to put this information also in the ZMQ tarball.

Groetjes,
Peter.