[zeromq-dev] Build failure in python?

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Mon Jan 25 12:43:46 CET 2010

Hi Adrian,

> Note that I'd like to use -Wl,-z,defs to get rid of a few unneeded package
> dependencies, but that's a minor issue really (and in the specific case of
> zeromq, IIRC there's just one or two dependencies.)
>
> So I'll just skip that for now.  Should I open a bug report or do you take
> care of it?

What ld man page says about -z defs:

            Report unresolved symbol references from regular object
files.  This is done even if the linker is creating a non-symbolic
shared library.  The switch --[no-]allow-shlib-undefined controls
            the behaviour for reporting unresolved references found in
shared libraries being linked in.

So as far as I understand, the only effect of the option is to generate
additional errors. How does it help you to remove the dependencies?