[zeromq-dev] Debian package / small manpage issue

Peter Busser busserpeter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 16:04:46 CET 2010

2010/1/21 Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com>:
> Hi Adrian,
>
>> Is anyone already preparing a Debian package?
>>
>> If not: I'm working on it.   Will take me some time because the packaging is
>> somewhat nontrivial with all those language bindings; and it appears openpgm
>> is not packaged yet, either.
>
> Have a look into packages/debian subdirectory. There's a debian package
> skeleton by Peter Busser. Maybe it'll be of help to you.

Martin,

I think you should really move packages/debian to debian. Adrian's
message proves that it only complicates things. I agree with you that
the root directory of the project shouldn't be unnecessarily
cluttered. But since there will be only one debian directory for all
Debian-based distributions, and a specific spec file directory will
cover almost anything else, it saves you only one directory at the
cost of confusion and more work for those people who roll their own
packages. I respect your choice, but I don't think it is a smart thing
to do.

Adrian,

Please note that the Debian packaging is not complete. The Python and
Ruby bindings are missing. I don't know much about Python and Ruby and
even less about their packaging for Debian. My only interest were
working Common Lisp bindings. So I created stub packages for the other
languages, and left the completion as an exercise for the reader.

Last time I built the 2.0 Git source tree, the openpgm sources were
included. I am not sure how much sense it makes to create separate
packages for openpgm. And it has been a while, so I don't know if
anything has changed in that respect.

Groetjes,
Peter.