[zeromq-dev] Inter-thread (zmq_inproc) Performance?

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Fri Feb 26 14:40:43 CET 2010

On 25 February 2010 03:14, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> > Hello.  I am curious if any benchmarking of zmq_inproc messaging has
> > been performed, similar to the tests whose results are reported on:
> > http://www.zeromq.org/area:results
>
> The inproc messaging transfers messages via memory and passes whole
> batches of messages between threads using a single memory barrier.

Might be worth giving the new process-local memory barrier system call a
spin,

http://lwn.net/Articles/374206/

> > On a similar note, has any zmq_ipc testing been done?
>
> ipc transport uses the same algorithms as tcp transport, however, it
> passes the data via UNIX domain socket rather than over tcp loopback.

 If someone really likes the Java port they should probably have a go at
implementing an intra-JVM transport as the JNI calls are quite expensive.
 Other middleware systems already do this and see significant performance
improvement.

--
Steve-o