[zeromq-dev] Python bindings with poll.

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 00:19:31 CET 2010

Carlos,

> Also I fixed a little error on setup.py. The module file was not being
> copied on install.

Great, thanks for catching that.  I hadn't installed yet - just
running in place.

> I can only test in one machine right now. Preliminary test are show
> this results:
>
> tcp://localhost:5555
>
> cpp::lat
> message size: 1000 [B]
> roundtrip count: 100000
> mean latency: 24.938 [us]
>
> python::lat
> message size: 1000 [B]
> roundtrip count: 100000
> mean latency: 22.500 [us]
>
> python::lat
> using poll
> message size: 1000 [B]
> roundtrip count: 100000
> mean latency: 15.650 [us]

Wow, I am suprised at the speed of Python - especially the polling
interface.  I will run this when I get a chance.

> I am not sure why the python version is running faster than the cpp one however.

>> In the past I have used BSD for my open source projects - I am using
>> LGPL to match the license
>> of zeromq itself.  I realize that the MIT license is even more
>> allowing than the LGPL, so I am not worried
>> about including your contribution.  But  it is a little awkward to
>> have a *patch* released under a separate license.  I am not sure how
>> we handle that in terms of licensing.  Also, don't contributions to an
>> LGPL project have to be LGPL?  Obviously you can *use* pyzmq in a
>> non-LGPL project, but if you contribute to pyzmq itself, doesn't if
>> have to be LGPL?  How does zeromq handle this?
>
> Oh I see. I didn't know pyzmq was using a different license. How about
> this: my contributions to pyzmq are done under LGPL. My contributions
> to zmq (if any) are under the MIT license. Does that fix it? I guess I
> got confused since I read somewhere that you have to acknowledge that
> your code can be used freely when releasing it on the mailing list.

Let me ask Martin how they handle this with zmq itself and get back to you.

Cheers,

Brian

--
Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.